Sunday, May 5, 2013

TALKING WITH MANDY EVE-BARNETT

Hi everyone. I'd like you to join me as I interview Mandy Eve-Barnett who's volunteer this week to be on the proverbial HOT SEAT as I ask her questions about her novella The Rython Kingdon, her writing, and of course, herself.

Robin Leigh Morgan: Please introduce yourself.  Mandy Eve-Barnett: As a fairly recent resident of Alberta, Canada from my native England, I found a fresh passion in my new home - writing. 
A chance discovery of a writing group had me attending one meeting. I've never stopped going from that day on. In the 3 years 48 weeks as a member of the Writers Foundation of Strathcona County, I have become the secretary of the foundation and published two books.
Robin Leigh: Tell us about your latest published novel.
Mandy: My latest novella, The Rython Kingdom is set in medieval England following the adventures of a troubadour, Guillem Ruet. He answers the King's command to relay his fantastic stories to the court. Unaware he has been bewitched Guillem will tell a story containing a release spell unleashing the vengeful witch, Malgraf. Guillem's curiosity is aroused by a strange servant at court, whose real identity shocks everyone. Help comes in the unexpected form of an old groan and her beautiful granddaughter.

Robin Leigh: What are other books you've already published?     Mandy:   A previously published book was Rumble's First Scare. A children's story about a young monster experiencing his initial All Hallows Eve. Rumble follows his mother from his underground home to the bright, hard surfaced world above. With his mother's guidance, Rumble is able to scare several children with his monster growls and bag of pets.
Robin Leigh: What can you tell us about your current writing endeavor?          Mandy: Currently I am in the midst of a couple of projects. One is a collaboration with two friends creating a 'how to' memoir book. The other is writing another children's book with a magical forest theme.

Robin Leigh: Can you give us an excerpt from one of your favorite scenes in your latest novel?  Mandy: Excerpt from The Rython Kingdom:  
The mysterious servant entered a small copse and disappeared into dappled shade. The trail was partly overgrown, Guillem would have to tread carefully so as not to break any twigs and alert Stephen to his presence. He had observed Stephen floating several inches above the ground confirming Guillem’s suspicions that the young servant had indeed ‘acted’ walking in the castle corridor. Deeper into the copse, a thin veil of blue mist hung like a curtain. It shimmered as Stephen passed through it and was no more. What magic is this? Guillem hesitated. To follow alone would be folly, no-one knew of his whereabouts. He would inform the king of his findings and direct the soldiers to this place. As he had surmised there was more to Silent Stephen than met the eye. There was magic here as yet unown whether it be of evil intent or not. 
Guillem retraced his steps to the rose garden. The hour was later than he had expected. Had the veil changed time? Upon entering the great hall, all heads turned toward him expectantly.
“Guillem, I have sent scouts to all corners of my grounds in search of you. Where were you hiding?”

Your majesty, forgive me. I was in yonder copse. I have a matter of some urgency I must relay.”

“Matters can be relayed later, Guillem, my guests and I are anxious to hear the rest of your wonderful tale.”
“With all respect, sire, I feel the tale must wait.”

“Wait? I think not, Guillem, we have waited patiently for your appearance. The tale first, then we shall speak.”

Not wanting to displease his sovereign, Guillem took his place beside the king’s table and began.

Robin Leigh: What was the inspiration for your latest novel?  Mandy: My current writing endeavor, Ockleberries to the Rescue, was inspired by a lifelong love of nature and a whimsical fascination for magical creatures.
Robin Leigh: How did you decide what the title of this book would be?   Mandy: The title came about when I misheard someone talking. What I thought I heard was ockleberry but  of course it was something else entirely. However, the 'name' stuck with me and I knew it would be perfect for this particular tale.

Robin Leigh:Would you consider yourself to be a plotter or a pantser?
Mandy: Without a doubt I'm a panster! Once an idea pops into my head I give it free rein to go in whatever direction it wants to. The thoughts are channeled down to my finger tips.

Robin Leigh: What made you decide to become an author?    Mandy: I didn't actually purposely decide to become an author. When moving to Canada I promised myself a creative outlet. As I mentioned before attending a writing circle ignited my creative self. And there I have stayed finding a wonderful circle of friends and supporters and the spark that sees me totally obsessed.
Robin Leigh: In your latest novel, who's your favorite character male/female. Tell us why.  Mandy: In The Rython Kingdom, although I am fond of Guillem, my favorite character is Juliana. She is a mysterious woman with hidden talents. Her fragile frame belies her inner strength.

Robin Leigh: Do you set aside a specific amount of time to write, write/answer emails, and market/promote your book(s)?   Mandy:  As I work full time, have a teenage daughter, a husband and a home to run as well as assisting with a friend's company and my role as secretary of the WFSC. I try hard to maintain regular posts on social media and my blog as well as attend book festivals and events.

Robin Leigh: Do you read books outside the genre you write in? What are they?
Mandy:  As with my writing, I am not limited to one particular genre when I read. From Stephen King to Kate Morton to new authors. Reading is an adventure for me and I hope my writing gives my readers the same experience.
Robin Leigh: What must you have around you when you write?  Mandy:  A perfect writing atmosphere is a silent house and a cup of tea or a glass of wine; depending on the time of day. On occasion I listen to classical music too.

Robin Leigh: When you were an aspiring author you needed advice, what advice would you give to those aspiring author in those shoes today?   Mandy:  My mission is to help other writers in any way I can that is why I share my journey on my blog. When anyone asks for my help I oblige. My advice to anyone beginning their writing journey is not to give up and believe in yourself and your work.
Robin Leigh: If there's anything else you'd like to briefly tell us about your book, your writing, or yourself.   Mandy: I have several projects on the backburner at the moment, two of which were the culmination of NaNoWriMo's in past years. One has a reincarnation theme, The Twesome Loop and the other a speculative fiction, alternative future novel, Life in Slake Patch. I'm currently pursuing representation for them both.  I post a Saturday writing prompt on the Writers of Strathcona County website and am currently in the midst of a 'post a day in 2013' on my blog.

Robin Leigh: Where can we find your books?
Mandy: Both of my books can be purchased on www.dreamwritepublishing.ca
The Rython Kingdom e-book can also be purchased on:
SMASHWORDS: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214247   as well as on 
AMAZON: http://www.amazon.ca/The-Rython-Kingdom-ebook/dp/B00AUBP2SO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367202929&sr=8-1&keywords=the+rython+kingdom
Robin Leigh: Where can we find you on the internet? 
Mandy:    Blog: http://mandyevebarnett.com/
I can also be found on - Google +, Jacket Flap, LinkedIn, Canada Arts Connect and in November - NaNoWriMo!

If you have any comments or questions for Mandy, I'm sure she'll be happy to hear from you or answer your questions.

If you're not already following this blog. I'd like invite you to consider to do so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment