Friday, March 28, 2014

FIVE SENTENCE FICTION - Companion


I truly loved writing my response to Lillie’s prompt word on her website for this week of “COMPANION.” I’d loved to read your comments on this one.

 

The Truth is Finally Revealed

For some reason I’ve never been the marrying type of person, perhaps it had been for a fear of being committed to one person, and only one person.

However, when I heard Michael’s sweet, devoted wife died suddenly from ovarian cancer thirty years ago, I felt he needed someone.

I didn’t do much, but clean his house, cook an occasional meal, kept him company when he wanted to go to a restaurant; and I never ever slept with him in the same bed.

This morning I received the tragic news from his only daughter that he’d died in his sleep.

And now, I’ve finally realized the truth; that although he’d never been my husband for the past thirty years; he’d always been my sole COMPANION.

8 comments:

  1. Companions come in all sizes, shapes, colours, species, and ages. Too often we don't realize it until it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS for stopping by McGuffy and leaving your comment, I take it you enjoyed reading what I had to offer. Have a GREAT WEEKEND with your family. !!! :-) :-) :-)

      Delete
  2. True emotions expressed in such few words...really liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS for your wonderful compliment Sushree. Glad you liked it. The brevity of what I've written is what Five Sentence Fiction is all about., it's about packing as much as you can into a limited number of sentences. Have a GREAT WEEK !!! :-) :-) :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. THANKS for the feedback Joy.
      Quite powerful isn't it, especially given it's length.
      Have a GREAT DAY !!! :-):-) :-)

      Delete
  4. Robin, this is a great short piece. It says so muchis so few words, yet gives so much to the reader's imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS for stopping by and leaving your wonderful compliment, It's quite interesting to see how powerful words can actually become if they're used wisely; especially when they, as you've indicated, allow the reader to use their imagination to fill in the rest of the picture in their mind.

      Delete